Skincare, makeup, the hair salon – I skipped all of it. Laziness, probably – but also survival.
For years, my mornings were a sprint. Single mom, one kid, zero backup. Taking time to sit in front of a mirror felt like a luxury I hadn't earned. I flew out the door and called it enough. People told me I had good skin. Nice hair, too. I smiled and took the credit, but honestly – that was my parents' doing, not mine.
Then Los Angeles got to work.
Years under this unforgiving California sun slowly undid what genetics had given me for free. Uneven tone. Rougher texture. Pores that had apparently decided to become a personality. I remember looking in the mirror one day and thinking: so this is how it goes.
The problem was, I had no idea where to start. I'd never invested a dollar, an hour, or a single thought into any of it – not skincare, not makeup, not even a regular trip to the salon. Every time I tried to look into it, I felt the overwhelm before I even began – and quietly gave up. What do I even buy? What do I even ask for? It felt like trying to enter a conversation that had been going on for years without me.
Then YouTube figured me out.
I must have searched something – I don't even remember what – and the algorithm decided it was time to hold me accountable for every year I'd spent doing nothing. Shorts, reels, routines. It poured information over me like it was personal.
So I started. Slowly, the way I do everything that matters.
I learned my skin type — which, embarrassingly, I genuinely did not know. I tried one toner. Then one serum. Read a little, tested a little, paid attention. And here's something almost too embarrassing to admit: I started wearing sunscreen for the first time only a couple of years ago. In California. Where I've lived for years.
Everything I write about here comes from real use — things I tried, kept, returned, learned from, and occasionally regretted. Nothing makes it onto this page just because it looks good on a shelf.
When I walk through LA, I see both kinds of women. The ones who've clearly been doing this for years – polished, practiced, glowing. And the ones who look exactly like I did: bare-faced and out the door, moving too fast to stop. The young woman who sits outside my office told me her drugstore sunscreen burns her eyes every day. The woman at the next table at lunch was quietly devastated about her hair falling out.
I don't know if they'll ever find this blog.
But I started exactly where they are. And I can tell you – the distance between then and now isn't just skin deep. It's the moment before you leave the house when you look in the mirror and feel okay instead of defeated. It's a small lift of confidence when you walk into a room. The tiniest, most ordinary act of deciding you're worth a few minutes.
That's what this is. Not a beauty blog by someone who's always known better. Just someone who went the long way around – and wants to save you the trip. For those of us who endured years of brutal sun in silence, only to bloom quietly one night like desert cacti.
Comments
Post a Comment