Skip to main content

Featured

The Oils I Keep Coming Back To: Rosehip, Jojoba, Tea Tree, and Castor Oil

There's a moment in skincare when you come face to face with facial oil and just – hesitate. Something about it feels wrong. Like you're about to make a mistake. Clogged pores, greasy shine, a breakout you'll be explaining to yourself for weeks. I felt that way for years. If your skin is already sensitive, already exhausted from trying things that didn't work, the phrase put oil on your face sounds less like advice and more like a dare. And then I did it anyway. Slowly, the way I do everything that matters. And after years of actually paying attention to how my skin responded – not to what the packaging promised, but to what my face actually did – I kept returning to the same four. Before I go any further: natural doesn't mean harmless. Plant-based ingredients can irritate, sensitize, and cause reactions just like anything else. Skin type matters. Application method matters. This isn't an argument that oil is the answer. It's more like notes from someone who...

Double Cleansing: What It Is, Why It Works, and What I Use

Before sunscreen became a daily thing for me, I carried a small tube of foaming cleanser in my bag everywhere I went. Afternoon slump at the office – splash. Family lunch, restaurant bathroom – splash. Multiple times a day, sometimes, just washing and re-washing like cleanliness was something you had to keep earning. It was so simple. Foam. Lather. Rinse. Done.

The tight feeling after – I loved that. Assumed it meant the cleanser was doing its job. Especially at night, scrubbing off a full day of LA air felt almost ceremonial. Like I was washing off the day's small indignities along with everything else.

What I didn't know: that tightness was my skin telling me it had been stripped of everything it needed.

The shift didn't start with serums or retinol or learning what a peptide was. It started earlier than that, and more quietly. I just stopped attacking my face. Sunscreen is what made cleansing non-negotiable. Once you're wearing it every day, one rinse isn't enough – it's engineered not to come off. The routine I'd been half-doing for years suddenly needed an actual first step.

Cleansing Oil, Cleansing Milk, Cleansing Water

Cleansing Oil

I avoided cleansing oils for a long time – I wasn't really wearing makeup, so it didn't seem necessary. And honestly, putting oil on already oily skin just didn't make sense to me intuitively. I was wrong about that.

A good cleansing oil doesn't sit on top of your skin. It dissolves sunscreen, makeup, and excess sebum – then emulsifies when water hits it, and rinses away clean. No greasy residue. Just soft.

The one I've landed on is Anua Heartleaf Pore Control Cleansing Oil. Light, rinses easily, none of that filmy blur some oils leave behind. For someone whose "full face" most days is just sunscreen, it's plenty. If you're wearing waterproof mascara or a full eye look, you might want something more serious.

That something more serious, for me, is Manyo Pure Cleansing Oil – which I ended up liking more than I expected. Costco occasionally carries it, which somehow makes me trust it more rather than less. This is the one I reach for on the days I've actually made an effort with my face. Caveat: rinse thoroughly. Some skin types will break out if you don't follow with a second cleanse.

Cleansing Milk

This whole category feels vaguely European to me. Unhurried. Less interested in punishing your face. It's what I reach for when my skin is already irritated, or over-exfoliated, or just tired – especially in winter.

make p:rem PDRN Pore Clay Cleansing Milk sounded contradictory to me at first. Clay cleansing milk. Like a product that couldn't decide what it wanted to be. But it works – softer than a traditional clay cleanser, more clarifying than a regular milk. Good for the in-between days when skin feels congested but also faintly offended by everything. 

Clarins Velvet Cleansing Milk was something I bought years ago and abandoned halfway through the bottle. I was still deep in the era of aggressive cleansing – if my face didn't feel slightly punished afterward, I assumed nothing had actually been cleaned. I wasn't ready for it. But it's a classic for a reason, and for anyone just starting to move away from harsh cleansers, it's a good entry point. Soft. Not drying. Doesn't take anything it shouldn't. Just don't ask it to remove a full face of makeup on its own. Recovery cleanser, not a battlefield one.

Cleansing Water

Micellar water is something I understand emotionally more than chemically. You're exhausted. It's late. You want permission to skip the sink entirely. That's what it's for.

Bioderma Sensibio H2O is probably the benchmark here – one of those French pharmacy products that quietly became permanent fixtures in bathrooms all over the world. Low-irritation, effective on light makeup, and useful on nights when a sink feels emotionally ambitious.

ROUND LAB 1025 Dokdo Cleansing Water is the cleansing water I actually keep around. Gentle, clean-feeling, and works well for light makeup, sunscreen residue, or the nights when a full cleanse feels like an unreasonable request.

Cleansing water can be a first step or a tired-night compromise, not a complete routine. Sunscreen needs more than a cotton pad. But as a first cleanse, or a travel option, it earns its place.

On Double Cleansing

Sunscreen is designed to stay on. Water-resistant, sweat-resistant, engineered to last through a full day of whatever California throws at it. That's the whole point. Which means washing it off with water and a little foam – the way I'd been doing it for years – was never really going to work. I just hadn't thought about it that way before.

Sunscreen adheres to the skin's surface to form a protective barrier, which also makes it more resistant to removal. A water-based cleanser alone often can't fully break it down – and what stays behind doesn't just sit there quietly. Leftover residue can contribute to dullness, congestion, and affect how well your other products absorb. 

Double cleansing is just the logical response to that. First cleanse dissolves – sunscreen, oil, whatever accumulated over the course of the day. Second cleanse actually cleans the skin underneath. Two steps that do two different jobs, instead of one step trying to do both badly.

That said: dermatologists aren't universally enthusiastic. Overwashing can cause dryness, irritation, and breakdown of the skin barrier – which is its own set of problems. The point was never to clean more aggressively. It's to clean more deliberately.

For me, that distinction was the whole shift. Less force. Better sequence. A face that didn't feel like it had been punished by the end of it.


Skincare seems to be mostly about what you add. Serums, treatments, actives. Something to put on. Turns out a surprising amount of it is about what you stop doing to your skin.

Maybe that's what beauty is, in the end. Not everything you layer on. Everything you learn to leave out.


Comments

Popular Posts