Not sponsored. No brand relationship.
numbuzin has been everywhere lately.
TikTok. YouTube Shorts. Every K-beauty roundup that crosses my feed. For a while I scrolled past it the way I scroll past most viral skincare – politely, without commitment. Another brand, another launch cycle, another set of promises in attractive packaging.
Then it kept showing up. And I started paying attention.
The brand name is odd. The product names are odder: No.1, No.3, No.5, No.9. Not "Brightening Essence" or "Ultra-Lift Repair Serum" or whatever twelve-word name usually gets assigned to things like this. Just numbers. Which sounds like a clever concept until you're standing in front of your phone trying to remember if you wanted the three or the five and why that distinction matters.
Here's what I'll say: once you understand the system, it's actually more useful than most naming conventions in skincare. The industry standard – aspirational words strung together until they lose all meaning – isn't exactly a high bar. But a number that maps to a specific skin concern? You remember that. No.1 is the crisis number. No.3 is the texture number. No.5 is the dark spot number. No.9 is the aging number. I can work with that.
numbuzin launched in South Korea in 2019. Each number is its own product line – serums, toners, masks – built around a specific problem. You figure out your concern first, then find your number. It's not a bad system. It's also, for a beginner, slightly less intuitive than it sounds – because the numbers aren't consecutive and the lines have expanded faster than the logic. But we'll get to that.
Before anything else: this is not a sponsored post. No affiliate link, no brand relationship. These are products I bought, used, and formed opinions about on my own.
Today I'm only covering serums. Toners, pads, masks – those are different conversations.
The short version:
No.1 – skin in crisis
No.3 – texture trouble
No.5 – dark spot drama
No.9 – skin that lost its bounce
If one of those phrases made you look up from your phone, that's probably your number.
No.1: For Skin in Crisis
This is the serum I reach for when my skin is making complaints I can't diagnose.
You know the state. Oily on the surface, somehow still dry underneath. Something starting along the jaw. A faint flush that wasn't there last week. Sensitive enough that the products you normally use suddenly feel like too much. That combination – congested and dehydrated at once – is exactly what No.1 is built for.
The formula centers on pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), panthenol, and niacinamide, alongside a soothing complex with centella, beta-glucan, and licorice root. The niacinamide is doing double duty – calming inflammation while keeping oil production from running the show. The panthenol strengthens the barrier. Everything else is assembled not to provoke anything.
It absorbs quickly and disappears without leaving a film. No tingle, no dramatic shift. When your skin is already irritated, the last thing you need is something doing too much. No.1 is the serum equivalent of leaving well enough alone while still doing something useful.
This is also the number I'd start with if you're tempted to reach for actives – a retinol, an acid – on an already-stressed face. Sometimes the right move is to calm down before you go looking for results.
No.3: For Texture Trouble
Pores you didn't used to notice. A surface that photographs differently than it looks in normal light. Makeup that doesn't sit quite right by midday.
The product I've been using is the Blue Bio-Retinol Pore Refining Serum. The "bio-retinol" refers to a plant-derived retinol alternative – gentler, similar function, less irritation risk. The formula also includes fermented ingredients – bifida ferment lysate and galactomyces – which K-beauty has used for years because they improve skin texture without being aggressive about it.
I want to be precise about what this does and doesn't do. It does not eliminate pores. Nothing does. Pores are a structural feature of skin, not a problem with a solution. What No.3 does is refine the surface – smoother texture, less congestion, reduced oiliness over time. The net effect is that pores become less visible because the skin around them looks better.
For anyone in their late thirties or forties: this is the kind of product that makes the difference between makeup that sits well and makeup that slides. No.3 doesn't announce itself. But I notice when I've skipped it.
No.5: For Dark Spot Drama
This was the most intuitive number for me to understand because the problem it addresses is one I know personally.
The spot that takes four months to fade. The uneven tone along the cheekbones – left side worse than right, which is the side facing traffic on the 101. The general impression that my skin tone is telling a more complicated story than I'd like.
No.5 targets hyperpigmentation. The Glutathione TXA Advanced Dark Spot Ampoule leads with tranexamic acid (4%), niacinamide (5%), glutathione, and vitamin C. Tranexamic acid interrupts excess melanin production without bleaching or damaging surrounding skin. The combination is well-established in Korean dermatology; this isn't a new idea dressed up in new packaging.
What I want to say clearly: this is not a product that changes your skin tone. I'm not lighter. I'm more even. Those are different things. The post-acne marks that used to persist for months are less persistent. It's a quieter kind of improvement than the before-and-after photos suggest, but it's real.
Also necessary: no brightening serum works without consistent sunscreen. You are actively undoing the product every time you step outside without SPF. Skip one and the other doesn't matter much.
Patience is not optional. If you're looking for a two-week result, you'll be disappointed. If you can commit to a few months, you'll start to understand why this line is as popular as it is.
No.9: For Skin That Lost Its Bounce
There is a version of this sentence that I would have found dramatic ten years ago: I woke up one morning and my face looked different. Not bad. Not sick. Just – less. Less firm at the jawline. Less full at the cheeks. The kind of change that accumulates invisibly until it doesn't.
No.9 is the number for that.
The NAD+ Bio Lifting-sil Essence leads with fifty peptides and NAD+ – a coenzyme that declines with age and plays a role in cellular repair. Adenosine adds wrinkle-smoothing support; it's one of the better-studied anti-aging ingredients. The texture is more essence-like than the others, with a faint stickiness that settles quickly.
My skin looks more plump in the morning. The fine lines around my eyes are softer. The overall impression is less tired – not younger exactly, but more present. Less like a face that's been borrowing against future sleep.
I am not going to tell you this serum reverses aging. I'm telling you it's doing something real in the category it's supposed to address, and that I keep buying it, which is the most honest review I know how to give.
On Buying All Four at Once
Don't.
Buying every promising serum simultaneously is how routines collapse. You layer everything on, you can't tell what's working, something irritates your skin and you don't know which product did it, and eventually you quit entirely or spend months undoing the problem.
One number. The one that matches your loudest current complaint.
Skin in crisis – No.1.
Texture trouble – No.3.
Dark spots won't fade – No.5.
Skin that looks like it's giving up – No.9.
Start there. Use it consistently for six to eight weeks before forming an opinion. Add a second number only after the first one has proven itself.
numbuzin is a viral brand that deserves some of its momentum. The number system, which sounds gimmicky until you understand it, is actually a reasonable way to organize skincare around real concerns rather than around whatever ingredient is having a moment.
What makes me trust it, cautiously: each number has a clear job. No.1 is not trying to also fix your dark spots. No.5 is not also claiming to firm your jawline. That restraint – a product that does one thing and knows it – is rarer than it should be.
The usual caveats apply. Viral is not the same as suited-to-your-skin. And whatever serum you buy, buy it through a source you can trace – a brand storefront, Olive Young Global, a retailer with an established US distribution relationship. The supply chain questions I raised in the K-beauty post don't stop applying because a brand is trending.
But if numbuzin has been on your radar and you've been waiting to figure out where to start: figure out your number first.
The rest follows from there.
Comments
Post a Comment